Jun 6, 2011

A Satisfying Comeback at the Liberty Classic in Philadelphia

Photo: © Jonathan Devich
Every once in a while I get so cranked up about riding my bike that it drives me nuts to have to hold back. 

When I was pre-riding the race course with my teammates on Saturday, a day before the 2011 edition of the Liberty Classic in Philadelphia, I was on cloud nine. I didn't want to stop, and I wanted to go hard.  It was almost too much to end my ride.  It was one of those days, and even though it's a frustrating feeling, sometimes it's simply a good sign.

The task I was given for the race was to go for the Queen of the Mountain (QOM) points.  I wasn't sure how it would all play out, because I knew the field would be strong.  The last race I did (in Killington) my legs didn't feel very punchy in the hills.  I wasn't sure that my form was up to par again, but my itch to get out and play on my bike was strong enough to dampen my concerns.

There were two QOM spots on each of the four laps.  5, 3, and 1 points were awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd riders over the line respectively, except for on the final lap when the points were doubled.
Photo: © Jonathan Devich

I got the first 5 points after the infamous Manayunk Wall climb, and I saw I'd gotten a gap over the field.  I went with it, and pushed on.  The gap kept increasing.  I ended up getting a maximum of just over 2 minutes ahead of the peloton.  I managed to stay away for 3 laps and got pulled back before the 4th and final Manayunk Wall climb.  I'd eaten three Eload gels and had 2.5 bottles of Eload by that point, and it had saved me from cramping.
Photo: © Jonathan Devich
It was great to see my teammates at the front of the pack, like they always are, when I got pulled back.  I knew that they had been covering moves from the peloton while I was off the front.  It's a good feeling to have such a great team.

Todd Leister
Georgia Bronzini won the race in the final sprint, and Juvéderm-Specialized-Mazda brought home the Queen of the Mountains title. You know, I didn't realize how much my breakfast buffet was going to cost me until I got the bill the morning of the race.  I guess the most expensive French Toast I've ever eaten was worth the price. (My first Publishers Clearing House sized cheque EVER will help offset the dent anyways I suppose ;) ).


Thanks to the AWESOME fans in Philadelphia this past weekend, the exceptional support really makes the race that much more special for those of us out on the roads.  And thanks to all of our sponsors (check out their links on the right hand side of my website)! 

Next race: Canadian Nationals in Burlington Ontario!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! It was your day to shine, I'm happy for you.

    Good luck in the next race.

    JC

    ReplyDelete