Apr 5, 2013

Redlands Bicycle Classic : Stage 1

This year, stage 1 of the Redlands Bicycle Classic was held in Big Bear, CA for the first time ever.  It was a 10km time-trial at altitude, on a slightly rolling, and twisty course. 

Erik prepared our Specialized S-Works SHIV bikes the day before the race, as always. Here they are out by the team car, near his workspace.
It was a good thing that NOW and Novartis for MS made the 1hr drive up the mountain to Big Bear to pre-ride the race course a day early with our Specialized Shiv time-trial bikes.  That way we knew what to expect, and weren't suprised by any of those twists and turns on race day.  It probably would have been an even better idea ride it with race wheels on our bikes.  Having a full disc on the back, and deep dish (high rims) on the front kind of changes how the bike handles, mostly in sharp corners. 

It didn't matter much because we still arrived early enough on race day to ride on the road with our Specialized Shivs and race wheels.  Afterwards, I warmed up a little less intensely than I normally would for a time trial.  I figured that it would be a good idea considering how thin the air was up at 7000ft.  Your body just doesn't react the same way...

Alison Tetrick from the Exergy2016 team started 30seconds behind me.  The problem with that was that it was her birthday.   I know what birthday magic can do.  It can work wonders.  Plus, she's already fast.  Nobody likes getting passed in a time trial, so I knew I had to haul ..."keister".  Okay, it wasn't the first thing on my mind but I still thought about it.
 
I ended up finishing 5th place in the day, and passed a few people instead of getting passed (phewf.  OK, I'm joking, but I'm not).  However, the highlight was definitely my teammate's VICTORY.  Alison Powers SMOKED the field, winning with a 30second gap over the second place athlete (Taylor Wiles of Lululemon)  Alison is now the current leader of the race, and our goal is no secret.  We want her in the yellow jersey all of the way until Sunday, when the race ends.   
 
 
I got home and pulled out my Travel Roller, like always, before my massage from our soigneur Michelle.  (Want one? Click the link below)  Stage 2, here we come. 
 

Top 10 Results:
(for the rest: click HERE)
1Alison Powers (NOW and Novartis for MS)0:16:10
2Tayler Wiles (Specialized lululemon)0:00:31
3Rhae Shaw (Vanderkitten)0:00:44
4Brianna Walle (Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies)0:00:49
5Lex Albrecht (NOW and Novartis for MS)0:00:55
6Amber Neben (The Dare to Be Project)0:00:56
7Janel Holcomb (Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies)0:00:59
8Alison Tetrick (Exergy Twenty 16)0:00:59
9Robin Farina (NOW and Novartis for MS)0:01:02
10Denise Ramsden (Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies)0:01:07

No comments:

Post a Comment