Jul 9, 2013

Strong Start to B.C. Superweek

There's nothing much that can compare to the feeling of throwing your hands up after a hard earned victory.  Thanks to my teammates and sponsors. Photo credit: Oran Kelly
The first of 8 events at B.C. Superweek, which is amongst Canada's most important cycling events was the MK Tour de Delta Criterium.

A two person breakaway (including my NOW and Novartis for MS teammate Devon Gorrey) was formed after a strong early portion of the race.  I followed a rider (Denise Ramsden, OPTUM) who jumped out of peloton and bridged up to the break.  Out of the 4 rider breakaway, I was able to test my legs for prime sprints, successfully winning two out of two attempts.

At one point when the break was threatened to be swallowed back into the chasing peloton, I attacked, and my three breakaway companions followed. That effort made the break survive, but it is truly thanks to Devon who rode the front like a diesel engine for the final laps that I could save my matches and be the freshest rider for the final sprint.  I was more than happy to be able to deliver the goods and bring back the victory for NOW and Novartis for MS, especially after such a strong team effort.
Robin Farina and Olivia Dillon were 1st and 2nd in the second stage of the Tour de Delta in the Ladner criterium, and Robin returned to the podium at the ultimate stage, in 3rd place.  Congratulations to Elle Anderson (Vanderkitten) for winning the general classification of the Tour de Delta.
Lex Albrecht in the Tour de Delta leader's jersey after the stage 1 victory.


No comments:

Post a Comment